“This recipe has been in my family for over 50 years. As a child, I couldn’t wait to go to my sister’s house to bake these. We would bake all one day and decorate them all day the next. Fond memories.”
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Mix together sugar, shortening or margarine, vanilla extract and almond extract Cream these together until light. Add eggs and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt ( use 1/2 teas. if using margarine). Add to sugar mixture alternately with milk, ending with flour mixture. Dough will be quite stiff and may require mixing the last bit of flour in by hand.
- Roll out portions of dough on floured board and cut with your favorite cookie cutters.
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake for 10 to 12 minutes . Test for doneness by touching lightly with your finger. If there is no dent, they're done. Cool and frost, decorate with colored sugars and colored frosting..
- Note: If you like crisp cookies, roll the dough thinner. For more cake-like dough roll thicker and use metal cookie cutters. Originally we used Anise oil to flavor the dough (5 to 6 drops) in place of the vanilla and almond extracts. But my children prefer the extracts.
Cut down on the salt if using margarine.