“Toasted almond and lemon zest biscotti for any occasion.”
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Ready In|
|Cook Time||Ready In|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Combine flour and baking powder; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the lemon zest and almond extract. Stir in the flour mixture until smooth, then stir in the chopped almonds.
- Divide dough in two. Shape each portion into a loaf about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place loaves onto the cookie sheet about 4 inches apart, and flatten slightly. Beat egg white until foamy, and brush over tops of loaves.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until light brown. Cool on baking sheet for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Cut baked loaves diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay slices cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until crisp. Cool on wire rack. Make several days before serving. Store in a paper bag to soften slightly. For longer storage place in a sealed container.
Try these variations: Use 1/2 teaspoon of either vanilla or anise extract instead of the almond extract; substitute chopped filberts for almonds; toss in half a cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.