Recipe by: Lilli Cheatham (website)
“Cookies with currants, pecans, raisins, candied pineapple, citron, dates and spices.”
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 pound pecan halves
- 1/4 cup candied cherries
- 1/4 pound candied pineapple coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound chopped candied citron
- 1/4 pound pitted dates
- 1/4 pound chopped candied orange peel
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat eggs until foamy, add to mixture. Sift flour with spices, cocoa and soda. Save out 1/2 cup of flour mixture. Add the rest of flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir in coffee.
- Cut fruits into small slivers and dredge fruit and chopped pecans lightly in flour saved out for this. Add to fruit and the rest of flour to batter, mixing thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet. Do not place too close together. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Do not over-brown. Store cookies in jars.