Recipe by: Rosina (website)
“A very chocolaty and very chewy cookie, first cousin to a brownie.”
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- In large bowl cream shortening, sugar, water and vanilla extract. Beat in eggs. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda and gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 7 - 9 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.