Recipe by: Chan (website)
“Cute ‘Cherries in a Blanket’ cookies. This recipe goes back at least three generations. My grandma made them, my mom made them, now I make them!”
- 1/2 package (8 oz) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
- 2 jars (10 oz) maraschino cherries drained
- In a medium bowl, stir together the shortening and cream cheese until well blended. Stir in the flour, you may need to use your hands to help it form a dough. If the mixture seems too dry, add a couple of teaspoons of water. Cover and chill several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Before rolling out the dough, dust the rolling surface heavily with confectioners' sugar. Roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 1x4 inch strips. Place a cherry on the end of each strip. Roll up each strip starting with the cherry. Place on prepared cookie sheets and dust with a little of the confectioners' sugar.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookies should brown slightly. Dust again with the confectioners' sugar. Allow cookies to cool before serving, the cherries are very hot!